Monday 13 October 2014

marion grasby's sesame tuna with ponzu

Weeknight dinners tend to be simple affairs in our household; often we cook enough to last more than one meal and things like spaghetti bolognese, baked chicken wings and fried rice are those staples we constantly have on rotation. Recently, my aunty introduced my mum to frozen salmon and tuna fillets at the supermarket (mum then got me some) and they've been a real treat. Take them out in the morning to defrost in the fridge and they're ready by the time you need to cook at night. So when I flicked through Marion Grasby's 'Asia Express' and saw the recipe for Sesame Tuna with Ponzu, I knew I was going to make this one soon.

With the defrosted tuna pieces, sprinke with salt and coat in sesame seeds. I only had white sesame seeds but Marion recommends a blend of black and white in her recipe. Heat oil in a pan and cook the tuna for about 2 minutes each side.

Marion's recipe for ponzu sauce is a combo of 1 finely sliced spring onion, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, grated zest of 1 lemon,  2tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp wasabi paste and 1 tsp freshly grated ginger all whisked together.

Here's how the tuna looks in the book if you have the black sesame seeds. I though the white sesame seeds already gave it plenty of flavour.

We had our tuna steaks with rice and it's actually a very filling meal. Admittedly frozen tuna steaks aren't as great as fresh ones but if you happen to be in the supermarket, do grab a bag of the frozen salmon steaks. You can hardly tell the difference with the salmon.

Anyhow, our rangehood in the kitchen decided to explode over the weekend so this might be a mini break from any cooking posts for the moment until we get that fixed.  Though truth be told, I would've been more sad had our oven broken down as I wouldn't be able to do any baking!

No comments: