Wednesday 16 January 2013

miso eggplant

Last weekend I did one of the dopiest things; hopped along to the Myer one day sale after hearing about the 40% off books, bought myself a book and came home realising that it was already sitting on my shelf. And you know what, that's exactly something my dad would do although dad would just add it to his collection. In my case, I promptly went back to Myer the next day and returned mine; I think the lady behind the counter felt a little sorry for me and offered some reassuring words that publishers these days keep changing those damn covers to make things confusing (which I do agree with!)

Which brings me to this post for Miso Eggplant. The book I have, bought again and then returned is in fact 'Bill's Everyday Asian'. It's been a good while since I've flipped open this book and now that I have, I've been cooking from it everyday. Can't believe I nearly forgot how simple Bill's recipes were!

Not quite as impressive looking as the photo in the cookbook but tastes fantastic!

Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add 3 tbsp vegetable oil and when hot, stir-fry 500gm chopped eggplant for 10 minutes. Mix 2 tbsp mirin, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp caster sugar and 1 tbsp white miso paste in a small bowl, add to the work with 4 spring onions (cut into 5cm lengths) and stir fry for 1 minute. If you cover the wok with a lid half way, you should be able to reduce the cooking time by about 3-4 minutes. Just check the eggplant to see that it's reached the level of softness that you're after.

This is a dish that hardly takes any time to make but packed full of vegie goodness. More Bill posts to follow!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This is one of my favourite dishes from that book! At first I was sceptical about an aussie's book on Asian cuisine bit it's really great! (Good enough to buy twice even! Hehe)

panda said...

can't agree with you more - it really is a good book for Asian cuisine! and let's hope I don't buy it a third time round :)