Sunday 29 January 2012

hershey's kisses peanut butter blossoms

It was a trip to Costco last week that I remembered that I had this recipe to post. There's actually no real correlation between Costco to the recipe except for the fact that Costco sells these massive bags of Hershey's Kisses (which features in the recipe) and which I'm tempted to buy everytime I see one. If its not the Hershey's Kisses that I'm seeing at Costco, its those Peanut Butter Cups; even more tasty and probably not so good for you if you eat too many if one go.

This recipe comes from the back of my packet of Christmas themed Hershey's Kisses (Hershey's in green, red and silver foil wrapping - yes I am a sucker for packaging). Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Remove wrappers from 48 Hershey's Kisses chocolates. Beat 125g melted shortening and 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter in a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup caster sugar and 1/3 cup light brown sugar. Add 1 egg, 2tbsp milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Stir in 1 1/2 cups plain flour, 1 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix to combine.

Shape the dough into 2cm balls. Roll in caster sugar.

Press a chocolate into the centre of each cookie. 

Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.

Remove cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Come to think of it, these cookies are almost peanut butter cups in cookie format! The original recipe actually asks you to press the chocolates in after the cookies have baked and the cookie is still soft but the dyslexic side of me read it as press them in before you bake. Well I can't tell you if the original recipe works but my way worked just fine - the chocolates actually don't melt in the oven but keep their shape. I find peanut butter loves sticking to the roof of my mouth and eating these was no exception. Ended up being a great Christmas treat to share with the extended family.

2 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I completely expected Hershey's Kisses to melt in the oven! After all, they're not baking choc chips.

Anonymous said...

This is such a good idea to finish off my hersey's! We bought so many over Christmas, we have tons left.. and lindt chocolate balls :)