Tuesday 1 March 2011

honeyed anzac biscuits

Since I've been sick, the one thing I've craved for more than anything else is honey - it automatically soothes the throat and makes my day feel just that tiny bit better. And if you are after proof that I've been eating up lots of honey, our 500mL squeezy jar of honey is on it's last drizzles. And I need to actually make a trip to the supermarket and get myself a new squeezy jar. I fear that if I have no honey in the house, things might get a little odd!

Just happens to be that in the February issue of Delicious, there was a recipe for 'Honeyed Anzac Biscuits'. Recipe is by Matthew Evans and there's a cookbook by this very gentleman that I have by beady eye on!

Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. In a small saucepan, heat 125g chopped unsalted butter and 2 tbsp honey over medium heat and stir until combined. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 tsp sifted bicarb soda.

In a large bowl, combine 100g rolled oats, 150g sifted plain flour, 200gs caster sugar and 70g shredded coconut. Pour the honey mixture and stir to combine. If the mixture is very dry and crumbly, add 1-2 tsp water.

Place 1 tbsp mixture on the prepared trays for each biscuit, spaced at least 4cm apart.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden.

These Anzac biscuits are chewy as traditional Anzac biscuits should be (and that's just the way I like them). The colour on these is also great and really you won't feel too guilty gobbling up a few of these. The honey is a most welcome change to the traditional golden syrup used in most Anzac biscuit recipes and with my latest honey cravings, that's even more of an excuse for me to stock up on a supply of honey!

2 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Self Care Girl said...

I made these last night - I love the Real Food Companion Cookbook. These were the best version of these cookies I have made. Also easier to make in the United States, since golden syrup is not easy to find. Thank you for posting the recipe on line, I will be sharing a link to your blog with friends.

Take Good Care-
Nancy (aka: Self Care Girl)