Monday 27 September 2010

white chocolate & cranberry biscuits

Equaling my obsession with Adriano and his macarons is my fascination for Yotam Ottolenghi and his cookbooks. I recently purchased his new cookbook 'Plenty' off Bookdepository (my favourite website in the world!) and have been drooling over its every page, eager to cook every single one of the recipes. Well I haven't quite got that far yet and actually, I bought Yotam's first cookbook 'Ottolenghi The Cookbook' when it first came out (pre. my discovery of Bookdepository) and only just the other week, made my first recipe from the cookbook. Seeing another blog post about the same recipe, it looks the 'White chocolate and cranberry biscuits' are naturally the first recipe to make!

Preheat oven to 170 degrees. In a large bowl, combine 100g softened unsalted butter, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 110g soft brown sugar and 25g caster sugar.

Gradually add in 1 lightly beaten egg.

Sift into the mix 90g plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda and then 80g rolled oats. Stir to combine. Mix in 60g chopped white chocolate and 75g dried cranberries (recipe also recommends dried blueberries for a more 'grown up' biscuit).

Scoop out a bit of the mix with a spoon and use hands to roll into a ball. Press the balls lightly onto lined baking trays. Make sure you leave a good 6-7cm apart as they tend to spreadh quite a bit.

Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until they a golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the trays before serving.

Makes 25-30. Here's my tray and the pic from the book - they turn out pretty much spot on.

Look at the crunchy crisp texture!

A handful of these were gobbled up as they came out of the oven and throughout the next day - I really do recommend this recipe but do be careful with leaving space between each ball of dough when it goes into the oven; I thought I'd left another room but had a tray of cookies that just started baking into one another! 

There's so many other recipes in the book which I want to make that I'm quite spoilt for choice! Probably will make the teacakes as I've bought a mini kugelhopf tin which is waiting to be used.

4 comments:

mashi said...

ooh, it looks like a really nice and chewy biscuit. Look forward to your teacake post and pictures of your new mini kugelhopf tin.

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

Love the lacey look of the cookies. Are they chewy in texture, or more crisp?

OohLookBel said...

Your cookies look awesome, just like the ones in the book. Makes me want to bake another batch...

panda said...

mashi - made the teacake this long weekend. post up soon!

mademoiselle delicieuse - you probably won't believe it but they're both chewy and crisp at the same time!

bel - i want to give these a go with dried blueberries or goji berries :)