Monday 28 June 2010

choc. nut cornflake slice

Growing up, I was a big fan of Cornflakes. I'd have it for breakfast with milk, occasionally I'd chop in some strawberries or have it with a bit of banana. Then there were the cornflake crackles that you'd have at birthday parties or at school bake sales and they were certainly made all the better with a bit of chocolate - and I think this was were my head was at when I decided to make this batch. It's been ages since we've had a box of Cornflakes at home and well, doing this catering thing, I found out exactly how handy it was to have a box of this in the pantry.

I marked up a whole heap of recipes when I was planning for the catering and this happens to be one of the first few - a choc. nut cornflake slice from AWW 'Macarons & Biscuits'.

Grease and line a 20x30cm pan with baking paper extending 2cm over the sides. Combine in a saucepan/pot, 125g coarsely chopped butter, 1/2 cup caster sugar, 1/3 cup golden syrup and 1/3 cup peanut butter. Measure out 4 cups of cornflakes.

Bring the ingredients in the pot to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered without stirring for 5 minutes.

With a metal spoon, gently stir in the 4 cups of cornflakes.

Spread the mixture into the lined pan; press firmly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.

Melt 350g dark chocolate and spread over slice.

Let to set at room temperature. Cut into slices with a sharp knife.

Place in patty cake liners to serve.

I actually didn't follow the recipe in the book exactly as I didn't have crunchy peanut butter at home but to be honest, I thought these tasted just fine. Nuts would've given it the extra crunch but if anything, the only thing I'd really change about this recipe is upping the chocolate to at least half a kg. 350g was barely enough to scrape over the top of the slice and I was lifting the chocolate out of the pockets in the cornflakes to make sure there was enough to go around.

As you'll see in my next couple of posts, I used a lot of patty cake liners for the catering. These were great for slices; it dressed them up, made them easy to handle and personally, I think they act like a mini plates (which means you gave save on a serviette. They're quite cheap too, only about $1.20 for 100). Next time I might try to get some assorted coloured ones to make it nice and colourful!

3 comments:

Maria said...

I can see why these could be highly addictive... :)

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

So simple and completely reminds me of bake sales back at primary school. (PS. Are those Ikea pots? Think I have the same ones!)

panda said...

maria - i like chopping things into small cubes/squares; that way you don't feel too guilty eating a few more :)

mademoiselle delicieuse - i loved baked sales back in primary school!! esp. loved the toffees :) and yep, they are ikea pots - they're pretty good too!