Thursday 10 December 2009

jonah's @ bynya rd., whale beach

This post is a month and a half late but I've managed to get to it which is the important thing. J keeps reminding me that my blog posts are going to build up at the rate I'm going but between the lethargy of coming home from work, writing X'mas cards, doing more cooking/baking, and just spending time not doing anything, I've been finding it hard to be a good blogger. It'll be one of my resolutions for the new year to get up to scratch (fingers crossed).

So anyway, let me to tell you about Jonah's @ Whale Beach. It was the second last day of October and a friend of a friend had organised for a group of us to make the trek to Whale Beach for Jonah's Sugar Hit. Yep, I'm probably the last person in Sydney to blog about this year's Sugar Hit but well, the trek to Jonah's ended up being a mix of Sugar Hit and trying out a selection of the other desserts on their menu so hopefully this post is still relevant to some of you out there. The following pics should speak for themselves :)

Pouring over the menu...
There was one other table at the beginning of the night but they left shortly after we sat down. We basically had the whole place to ourselves - super!
Complimentary chocolates.
Brown Brothers Dessert Wine served as part of Sugar Hit.
Jonah's signature dessert, also their Sugar Hit offering - Vanilla panna cotta, fresh pomegranate and lavender honey. I'm sure most of you would've seen Suze's youtube clip with her wobbling a plate of this, it's exactly as wobbly as it looks (much to everyone's amusement on the night).
Caramelised pineapple and passionfruit creme brulee napoleon. I was expecting the pastry to be a bit more fluffy but this was quite a simple and refreshing take on the classic napolean. Not the easiest dessert to share because once you start to quarter it, it looks a bit like mush.
Strawberry, mascarpone and brioche pain perdu, sable biscuit stack with fresh strawberry and vanilla cream, dried strawberry, ricotta cheese and pistachio filled cannoli. In the words of my friend A, 'I love cannoli'.
Orange laced chocolate mousse, cocoa meringue, mocha rum sauce and chocolate brownie cake. This one was down the other end of the table so didn't actually get to try it but I love how the meringue looks like little mushrooms! I was assured though that this one is one to order next time I'm back.
J thought it was wrong to take this photo. I love how the panna cotta wobbles!
I say that a dessert at night is best enjoyed with a cup of tea.

Thanks E for organising the evening and thanks to the two drivers on the night. It was a good 50 minute drive to get there but it was well worth it in the end. It's a shame that we couldn't see much of the view at night so for those keen on coming here for dessert, I suggest you go during the day to make the most of the restaurant's view.

Anyway, thanks to all the other foodbloggers out there who blogged about Sugar Hit this year. It was good to read about all the other offerings and hopefully next year, I'll manage to get to a few more!

3 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said...

I'm still posting about stuff from about 6 weeks ago myself, so no need to feel ashamed!

Forager said...

Did you see my post that was 5 months late. Really. You have nothing to be ashamed of!

I'll have to get to Jonah's one day and try that "boob"!

panda said...

mademoiselle delicieuse - lol, after about 2 months, i figure there's no point in me posting because i forget half of what i ate!

forager - haha...i guess the backlog of food entries defines a food blogger. we always have something up our sleeves to blog about.

anyway, do try the boob! it's the source of much amusement!