Sunday 1 March 2009

the ultimate greek salad

I've never been a big fan of greek salad (largely the olives) but will nonetheless eat it if it's in front of me. Surprisingly, it ended up being the recipe that I chose to bring to Jo's dinner get together. She'd asked if I could bring a salad and well, being quite the Nigella addict at the moment, my first point of call was flick through 'Forever Summer' and pull out this recipe. And well, I had a block of feta in the fridge and it seemed like I had most of the other ingredients that the recipe required.

This recipe substitutes cucumber with fennel. Nigella claims that the usual cucumber causes this salad to become a soggy mess - the fennel was interesting; it was crisp although I can't say that I'm most fond of the taste, I still prefer cucumber. 
The red onions were left to soak in the olive oil dressing for about 2 hours in the fridge. And Nigella is absolutely right, after about 2 hours, the red onion has lost it's sharpness and is much easier on the palate.

The three of us that were at dinner gobbled our way through the salad. I don't think any of us had a preference for Greek salad (again the olives) but the recipe itself seems to work wonders - once all the flavours are combined, you seem to just eat it all together. Anyway, adding this one to my tried and tested recipes; definitely one to make again.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

it was YUM :)

except, you're right, we could do without the olives ;) haha. (I didn't know u don't like olives either)

panda said...

hahah..thank you!
and nope..not a fan of olives at all
so next time we skip the olives :P