Wednesday 23 April 2008

belated suckling pig family do

It's become a bit of a tradition in my family that every year (usually around Chinese New Year but this year it happened late) that we have a 'Suckling Pig Family do'. As the name of the event would suggest, the get together surrounds the yummy-licious Suckling Pig which we use to get from the city but now are getting closer to home (given there are so many Chinese BBQ shops around us). Really, there's not much else to this event: it's pretty standard for there to be a lot of food (it's almost like a potluck dinner where everyone brings a dish or two along), in most cases we order some local takeaway and well, it's almost just an excuse for everyone to get together.

The highlight of the evening. There was one year where the pig had flashing bulbs on the top of its head and that freaked me out so much that I almost didn't eat any of the pig.
My aunt made some chicken as well as cheese and spinach puffs which were extremely tasty..I probably popped 3 into my mouth just before dinner My younger cousin showing of his new camera.My dad in the kitchen making his specialty fried oysters. You've got to try one of these - oysters have never tasted so good.Not so much characteristic of 'Suckling Pig Night' but rather all family get togethers is cake. There's bound to be one, if not two cakes...mmmm...

It really amazes me how food can bring people together and I'm incredibly grateful that my family has taught me how to appreciate food. Some of you may baulk at the amount of food consumed at these get togethers but I assure you, these family dos are a thing to look forward to each time and I've never had to find excuse to get out of one.

1 comment:

panda said...

my same thoughts...