Wednesday 13 February 2008

sugar magic: lesson 1

I'd hoped to do some sort of part-time cake decorating course after I started full-time work last year (after my short period of time at LCB, I had cakes, cakes and cakes pumping through my system and I was itching to keep up the baking and caking :P). For some reason or other, it took me almost 9 months to get my act together and it was only last week that I enrolled for 'Sugar Magic' at Macquarie College. I'm hoping to keep this one up this year; fingers crossed!

Went for my first lesson today; the class of 10 is being run at Eastwood Public School by a very lovely lady called Margaret. She is ever so patient, talented and encouraging, methinks the following 7 weeks are going to be just fine. Sigh...she does make everything so easy, I wonder how long it's taken her to perfect the art!

We were shown how to make modelling fondant from scratch and with previously prepared fondant, we had a go at making rose buds and rose petals. These will need about 24 hours to dry completely and then you can use them to assemble a rose (to be shown in our next class).Cake materials purchased from the teacher and my notes for the lesson.
I'm actually really glad that I signed up for the course (haha...playing with sugar is a lot of fun!) Hopefully I'll get better with using modelling fondant. At the moment, my fondant is starting to crack and do all sorts of funky things. And yeah, hopefully at the end of 8 weeks, I'll be able to make the roses, jasmine and other bits and pieces which Margaret seems to think we can do.

No comments: