Wednesday 14 March 2007

le cordon bleu - day 21

Save for the baked apple which didn't look too appealing to eat (both when I started making it and when it came out of the oven), I've eaten the tarte tatin, the almond and orange pudding as well as the creme brulee all today; my tummy is quite satisfied :P My favourite has got to be the tarte tatin; it's actually always been one of my favourites for some strange reason. Come to think of it, I've never actually made it before in my life. I might've tried once, having mistakingly used shortcrust pastry for something that distinctively uses puff pastry to give it it's crunchy fluffiness but really, the appeal of this dessert has come through to me in TV shows, recipes and more recipes. You can make mango, banana, pear, pineapple, you choose your fruit for this dessert; really quite a versatile little thing. I imagine there's a number of ways you can make a tarte tartin so I suppose I was a little surprised at how we made it today. Yet regardless of how you make it, I'm sure this dessert will always taste just perfect; trust me! :D

Anyway, excuse my lame effort at plating my desserts. We had to do that today so the chef could mark us on the lesson. I'm not sure what exactly I was thinking; in part I was hoping to use as much of the berry compote we made on Monday (hence the berry drizzle and blueberries) and then using the range of fruits we had available in the kitchen. Does the one at the back of the photo remind you of a tamagotchi pet as it's growing (I think it's when you feed your tamagotchi too much and it develops into this fat lip thing?). So yeah, that's what it reminded me of and it still does when I look at it. The chef made a few comments; the main one being I need to wipe down the side of my plate (haha...actually I was half asleep and didn't see the berry smear that I must've made with my towel as I thought I'd wiped it down :P).

Gosh, I think I'm really going to miss class!

No comments: