Monday 5 February 2007

le cordon bleu - day 4


Class got quite fancy today; we made a Tarte aux Fruits and a Tarte aux Pommes (translated to Fruit Tart and Apple Tart respectively). I can't even remember how long it took us but roughly speaking, it took up most of the day. We probably spent about an hour and a half watching Chef Micheal demonstrate and it was pretty close to the end of the class that we all had our tarts baked and glazed. I still haven't tried mine yet (I tried one of the small tarts which the Chef made and that was definitely awesome!). But I'm just thinking, how crap would it be to spend a whole morning baking something, committing to every step to getting it just right and finally to eat it, find that it doesn't even taste any good?! *fingers crossed that mine is at least edible :(*

On the whole, I was quite happy with what I made today. When I looked around the classroom, there were probably many others which looked better than mine but for some reason, I think what you make always looks the best. Not only is it the product of your time and efforts, it's also the product of your capabilities and improvements which are contained in that baked product; hence making it unique. I still have a lot to work on e.g. not being stingy with my apples and making sure the entire tart is actually covered to prevent the filling from bubbling up when it bakes, and remembering to put all my ingredients in as well as in the right order (nearly made two big mistakes today! Big thanks to Marianne!) Although making mistakes and being forgetful is quite common. Chef Micheal nearly forgot to add an ingredient when he was making his Creme Patisserie. I guess it all boils down to being alert and making mistakes so that they teach you not to make the same mistakes again.



Mondays are really a killer. Yay for an easy theory quiz though! As for the rest of my day, I spent gushing over the marzipan decorations made by the Superior Patisserie students. Swee San, I found the ones you made; they are beyond awesome! Lol...I hope you don't mind me taking photos :P


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aaww *blush blush*
good to see that my crocodile head is still intact. Haha, and the balloon had not flew away :P